New Munford Theatre Opens

The new Munford Theater opened on Dec. 14, 1939


From the Covington Leader, Dec. 14, 1939

Munford’s newest build in enterprise is a motion picture theatre which has just been completed in time for its initial opening tonight.

The building is modern in every respect with the latest equipment and facilities for the showing of up-to-date pictures. Quadrangular in shape, it measures 35 feet in width by 85 feet in length.

The building is constructed mainly of buff-colored brick although bands of darker brick give the exterior sides a pleasant “two-tone” effect. The front, or eastern exposure is finished in white stucco above a modern, neon-light-marquee, below which is an expanse of black plate glass and ornamental double doors give added attraction to the main entrance.

The interior of the building is constructed and decorated in keeping with the most recent theater practice. The style and color scheme of the drapery and carpeted follow standard museum theatre patterns, while the floor conforms to the latest plan by having two inclines, one downward from the entrance doors and the other upward from the center flat toward the screen. The entire building, including the balcony is designed to seat 400 persons comfortably.

The project booth constructed of fireproof materials is equipped with modern simplex projectors and sound devices both installed by the national theater supply company of Memphis and New York.

All carpentry and construction work on the theater was done under the supervision of J. W.  Corbett, contractor, with T. W. Lumpkin as head brick mason and B. F. Parr as head plumber and electrician.

Materials were furnished by R.A. Baxter and Son Lumber Co. and Mayes Howard Lumber Co.

H. N. Haddad, principal owner and operator, will be assisted by a few associates and a staff of workers in the conduct of the businesses.

Mrs. Pauline Jordan, who is now in business at JorKin Beauty Shop in Covington, will operate a new beauty parlor which is being installed in the theater building the establishment will be known as the Munford Beauty Parlor. Mrs. Jordan will assume management of the Munford shop after the first of the year.

Leave a Comment