Courtesy of David A. Gwinn, Tipton County Genealogist and Historian
Garland was established sometime in the early 1870s. In 1872, a post office was opened in the Archer Store there and it was named “Garland” in honor of Dr. John C. Garland, a noted physician in the village. On February 14, 1913, Garland was incorporated by an Act of the Tennessee General Assembly. Ed Peeler was the first mayor of the town.